I have always tried to make things that are easier, less time consuming and tastier too.. this recipe is a sure shot for the mothers who pack the lunch boxes for kids. Well suited for singles who their own stuffs :)
- 5 - Medium sized orange carrots
- 1 - Red medium sized tomato
- 1 - Green chilly
- 1 inch - Ginger ( Not mandatory)
- 2 pods - Garlic (Not mandatory)
- 3 - Cloves/Kramb/loung
- 1 - Cinnamon/Dalchini/Pattai
- 1 - Bay leaf/Tej patha/Brinji elai
- 1 tbs - Fennel/Saunf/Sompu
- 1/2 tbs - Cumin/Jeera/Seeragam seeds
- 1 tbs - Clarified butter/Ghee/Nai
- 1/2 tbs - Garam Masala powder
- 1 tbs - Refined oil (Do not use any strong fragrant oil)
- 2 cup - Basmati Rice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup - Water (Depends upon which mode you are cooking)
- 2 cups - Water to wash and soak rice
- Salt to taste
- Green coriander to garnish
1. Wash the carrots thoroughly. Cut of the ends of the carrots.
2. Roughly chop them roughly and put them into the blender.
3. Wash the tomato and roughly chop. Put it along with carrot into blender.
4. At this stage itself if you prefer ginger and garlic pods add them.
5. I preferred out of garlic and ginger.
6. Grind them into a fine paste.
7. The water in tomato is enough for the carrot to get blended but, if you feel its not getting down add some water.
8. Remember, you are making a rice dish and not a liquid juice so add water very little.
9. Meanwhile, wash the Basmati rice in 1 cup of water and soak them in another 1 cup of water for 5 mins.
10. I made it in a pressure cooker so my measurements are different when compared with electric rice cooker or open pan cooking.
11. For other modes scroll down for measurements of water and rice.
12. Pressure cooker - 2 cup rice - 1 cup water.
Electric cooker - 2 cup rice - 1 to 1 1/2 cup water
Open pan cooking - 2 cup rice - 2 cup water
13. In the pressure cooker add ghee and oil. Heat them.
14. Add cloves,cinnamon,bay leaf,cumin,fennel and saute well.
15. Do not burn them. Once the cloves splutter add the carrot paste to it.
16. Saute well till the 3/4th of water in it evaporates.
17. Add salt and garam masala to it mix well.
18. Now drain the water from the rice and add it to the carrot paste.
19. Mix well and add water to it.
20. Close the lid and give one whistle.
21. Do not open immediately let it cool for 10 mins.
22. Slowly with soft ladle transfer into a bowl and serve hot.
23. Do not keep mixing as the rice tend to break and get mashed.