Namkeen a common snack made up north of India. It's a simple yet tasty snack for the evening. At my place we make it every year for Diwali and here i share it.
- 2 cups - Refined flour/Maida
- 1 cup - Rice flour/Arici mav/Chawal ka atta
- 2 tbs - Unsalted butter
- 1 cup - Water
- 1/2 tbs - Baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
1. Sieve the Maida,rice flour,salt and baking soda on to a bowl.
2. To it add butter and mix them well.
3. Now start adding water to the flour butter mixture.
4. Remember you have to knead the dough tight with less moisture in it.
5. Make big portions of the dough.
6. On to the cooking station flatten the one portion of the dough maintaining 1/2 inch thickness.
7. Cut them lengthwise first and then breadth wise so that dimonds shapes are formed.
8. Meanwhile heat oil in a deep fry pan.
9. When the oil is hot drop in the diamond namkeens one by one sliding from the sides of the pan.
10. Do not drop in from the center or there may be a possibility of oil spilling.
11. Fry them till they turn half golden brown or full golden brown.
12. Drain excess oil and put them on to tissue paper.
13. Once they turn cool transfer them to an air tight container.
14. Repeat the smae process keeping the flame low till the namkeens are going to be dropped.